Too busy to work smart? Even the best of us are so close to our business, we just can't see how to increase our sales and profitability. But it's not too late to finalise your Christmas plans and go for an all out DOUBLING of your usual December wine sales by following these tips:
- Make sure your wine list is FOCUSSED, SEASONAL and PROFITABLE - rationalise, go for spicy, warming reds and sparking and whites that are targeted to your best (usually female!) buyers. Get rid now of any poor selling and low profit lines, or you can always sell them as 'Bin Ends' in January.
- Ask your wine supplier for a low cost red that's going to make your MULLED WINE the best (and most profitable!) in the area.
- TRADE UP on a focussed, streamlined 'Wine by the Glass' list. Every grape and style should have an even better and £2 or so more expensive option. Again, get rid of low selling, low profit lines or they will cost you dearly.
- PROMOTE your Christmas Wine Specials everywhere, especially on Party Packs sent to all bookings, smart 'table talkers', framed pictures in the loos and with Party pre-order inducements.
- Join the 21st Century and offer a TAKE AWAY wine list. Why should your customers have to buy from the local supermarket? Box and wrap up 'Christmas Sixes', offer free tastings and carry the boxes to their cars!
- Promote a CHRISTMAS WINE SALE every Saturday afternoon in December. Turn your regulars and festive shoppers into raving fans.
- TRAIN and coach your staff in talking to your customers about their favourite wines, giving tasters and suggesting a take away.
- If you haven't got one already, promote your new WINE CLUB, especially tastings and dinners for the usually quiet months of January and February.
- Offer free WINE TASTINGS to all guests, not just party organisers. The chances are high on them 'trying & buying' and joining your Wine Club and could even incentivise last minute party bookings.
- Last but not least, splash out on a few ever so special FINE WINES. Bordeaux, Champagne, top end Australia must be offered in order to be sold!
You're probably doing some of the above already. If not, give your regional Innventive Project Manager a call. Peter Austen, FBII, is based in Oxfordshire and has wine sales coaching skills that are unbeatable, long lasting and fun.